Reporting a Work Injury in Minnesota

If you are injured or contract an illness at work, report the injury/illness to your employer as soon as possible. You may lose the right to workers compensation benefits if you fail to report the injury within the time frames established by law.

Your employer must complete a First Report of Injury form and provide you with a copy, along with a copy of the Minnesota Workers Compensation System Employee Information Sheet. If you lose time from work, the employer has ten days from its knowledge of the lost-time claim to report it to the workers compensation insurer. If your disability lasts for more than three days, the insurer must file the First Report of Injury with the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI).

The insurer will investigate your claim to verify that the injury/illness is related to work. You should keep your employer and the insurer informed of your medical condition and any work restrictions. If the insurer denies your claim, contact St. Paul Workers Compensation Attorney Gregg B. Nelson for help.