PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Nelson Law Office - Workers Compensation
Schedule A Free Consultation
Schedule A Free Consultation
Injured at work?
Gregg B. Nelson will fight for YOU.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers’ Compensation
  4.  » The Workers’ Compensation Process

Understanding Minnesota’s Workers’ Compensation Process

Minnesota workers’ compensation law requires all employers to purchase workers compensation insurance or become self-insured. Workers’ compensation insurance covers injuries or illnesses arising out of and in the course and scope of employment.

If you are injured or contract an illness at work, report the injury/illness to your employer as soon as possible. Your employer must then complete a First Report of Injury form. If you lose time from work as a result of the injury/illness, your employer must report the injury/illness to the workers compensation insurance company and the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI).

The insurance company will investigate your claim to verify that the injury/illness is related to work. If the claim is approved, the insurer will pay some or all of the following benefits:

  • Medical care related to the injury, as long as the care is reasonable and necessary;
  • Wage-loss benefits for part of your income loss;
  • Benefits for permanent damage to a body function;
  • Benefits to your dependents if you die of a work injury;
  • Vocational rehabilitation services if you cannot return to your job or to the employer you had before your injury; and
  • Mileage costs incurred for travel to obtain needed medical treatment and/or to participate in certain vocational rehabilitation activities.

If the insurance company denies your claim or you feel that you are not receiving the correct benefits, contact Gregg Nelson and Nelson Law Office for help at 651-483-1520.

Reporting A Work Injury

If you are injured or contract an illness at work, report the injury/illness to your employer as soon as possible. You may lose the right to workers’ compensation benefits if you fail to report the injury within the time frames established by law.

Filing For Workers’ Compensation

Workers’ compensation benefits are paid by an insurance company or, if your employer is self insured, by the employer through a third-party administrator.

Choosing A Qualified Rehabilitation Consultant

Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Law provides for vocational assistance and assistance with managing your medical treatment. The person that helps with this is paid by the insurer and is known as a qualified rehabilitation consultant (QRC). The QRC will conduct an evaluation to determine whether you are a qualified employee and, therefore, entitled to vocational assistance.

Denied Workers Comp Benefits

If the insurance company denies your claim, it will issue a Notice of Insurer’s Primary Liability Determination form stating denial of primary liability.